Tips for reducing waste over the festive season
With the festive season upon us, it’s a great opportunity to think about how we can incorporate the three R’s, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle, into our holiday traditions. Here are some tips from MWRRG staff on how they reduce waste in their homes.
- Take your own bags when shopping for gifts.
- Buy recycled cards, tags and wrapping paper, or better yet – reuse them from last year.
- Wrap presents in a tea towel or scarf. Google Furoshiki – the Japanese art of cloth wrapping for some tips.
- Take a glass and plate to your Christmas party or picnic rather than using a plastic cup.
- Organise a Kris Kringle to reduce the number of gifts you have to give.
Choosing a gift
- Try a re-gift Christmas, or buy second hand.
- Give mindfully - choose a voucher, membership or experience over a material gift.
- If buying, find out what the recipient really wants, and buy quality.
- Or, choose a gift that supports low waste living (e.g. reusable coffee cups, beeswax wraps, a compost bin).
- Visit Planet Ark’s Recycled Products Directory to find products made from recycled materials.
Reducing food waste
- Free up space in your fridge and freezer before Christmas so you can maximise the life of leftovers.
- Plan your food shopping carefully, and cater for the number of guests to avoid food waste.
- Use your food scraps and leftovers to make stock or soup to freeze for easy meals.
- Check out Love Food Hate Waste for other handy recipes that use up leftovers.
Last updated: 13/12/2017