Litter Hotspots Program
The Litter Hotspots Program is part of the Victorian Government’s A Cleaner Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay - A Plan of Action to protect the unique natural assets of the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay. The Litter Hotspots Program provides targeted funding and grants programs to support local government, business and community partnership initiatives to tackle litter in their local areas, preventing it from polluting our waterways, and helping make a cleaner, safer and more appealing environment.
The Litter Hotspots Program’s priorities are:
- cleaning up of litter hotspot areas including business, restaurant districts, waterfront precincts and popular beaches that impact local waterways
- targeting litter in storm water and highly littered items including plastics, glass and cigarette butts
- supporting litter enforcement activities
- on-ground works for the installation of storm water protection and litter collection infrastructure such as litter bins, traps and Water Sensitive Urban Design solutions
- community engagement programs that increase awareness of the impact of litter on our waterways
- activities that will prevent litter entering storm water drains
- education and engagement programs focusing on storm water and waterway littering
- other activities that meet the key objectives of the Litter Hotspots Program.
The Metropolitan Waste and Resource Recovery Group has initiated and is managing the Litter Hotspots Program, bringing all parties together, guiding the strategic direction and assisting all parties with planning and implementing best practice initiatives.
Last updated: 20/04/2016